Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jason.cpcr

Google DNS

14 posts in this topic

Hey just thought I would post this quick tutorial. :D You can change your DNS server to Google's free open one. It's made my internet slightly faster and a little more reliable.

1. Press start.

2. type run

3. type cmd

4. type ipconfig

5. find your ip address

6. open web browser

7. put your ip address in the adress bar

8. find your routers DNS settings

9. change your primary DNS address to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate to 8.8.4.4

10. ENJOY!

As a little tip, save your previous DNS address in case something goes wrong. I am not held accountable for any mistakes commited.

This is great for now, but when people start to do this, i think it'll be slower, now everyone has got it into their heads that chrome is the best... WHY? the only reason it's faster is because chrome never has any addons appart from tiny "add blocker" where as IE has so many built up, people just keep clicking yes and wonder why half their screen is a toolbar.. its not the web browsers fault that the people using it are stupid.. also since i went of track. very nice find, how'd you find this?

Oh, nice tutorial. I actually already use Google DNS. Way better than that OpenDNS or whatever crap they had. Felt way faster. I set my DNS through the router though so everyone in the house has no choice but to use it. :)

I used OpenDNS for over 2 years... I don't see what's so bad about it. I tried Google's DNS but the security of OpenDNS pulled me back.
Its alright.. just felt a bit slow for my tastes.

A lot of it depends on what you need really. OpenDNS is generally going to be better than your ISP and offers a lot of features most people will never use. Google DNS is pretty much a bare bones DNS service that focuses on the one thing Google always does...efficiency. For those paranoid about privacy some info about Google DNS... https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy If you don't care much about the privacy end, or use every other Google service anyway Google DNS will probably serve you best. If you're worried about privacy or need robust DNS tools then OpenDNS is better suited for you. Google DNS... (bonus points for people who know what the second set is ;) 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 2001:4860:4860:8888 2001:4860:4860:8844 OpenDNS... 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 Warning: If you're outside the US, using a 3rd party DNS service inside the US can actually drastically slow your connection down in some cases.