MaddieBrad

Asus Rampage II Extreme - RAID Support Q's

7 posts in this topic

Hello!
So I have two hard drives from a build from years ago that were running in a RAID Strip 0 configuration on a Asus Rampage II Extreme... My question is two fold:
1: Does anyone know a way that I could mount these disks outside of actually booting the disks on the original chipset/raid controller?  Like as in is there a software that will allow me to read the drives sledded?  There is no problem with the drives, only that i don't have the original system the drives were in.
2. If i wanted to build a super cheap rig that I could use just to boot into these drives, would i need to use the exact same Motherboard or are there other boards with the same RAID support that would let me boot my drives?  For instance... I was  running an Asus Rampage II Extreme with these drives... but is there another old MoBo that would work as well?  Something I could get on eBay or something?  

When looking on eBay for old Rampage II Extremes, I was shocked to see them having a $300.00 price tag.  Its like an 8 year old motherboard!

Thanks in advance!

- Brad

1. If it's an ASUS Rampage II Extreme, it should use Intel RAID. If you purchased a new Intel based board, I don't see why it wouldn't be detected right off the bat if you enable Intel RAID.  

2. See 1

Yeah, older motherboards get a bit more expensive once production is gone. While there aren't many buyers, there's limited stock which causes the price to go up. 

Thanks for your reply Sam!

So you think any MoBo with an intel chipset should do it eh?  I wish there was a way for me to use my external sled to load them up.  I have a duel hot swappable sata drive dock... I had imagined that I would be able to find some software that could link up the drives somehow.

Thanks again! 

Hmmm... maybe other RAID chipsets might work. You can experiment, but I'm pretty certain another system with an Intel chipset should work right off the bat. Personally I'd just copy the data on the drive to a SSD and be done with the RAID 0 HDD setup then unraid those drives and use it as separate drives. 

yes.. thats what i want to do... I just want to get the data off the drives first.  Anything I can do to read them would work.  I tried some drive recovery software but because the way stripe 0 writes the data the files the recovery software pulls off the drive is fragmented... The files are partial.  If I could copy from both drives into one disk and put the data together i would be happy!

On 4/19/2017 at 2:11 AM, MaddieBrad said:

yes.. thats what i want to do... I just want to get the data off the drives first.  Anything I can do to read them would work.  I tried some drive recovery software but because the way stripe 0 writes the data the files the recovery software pulls off the drive is fragmented... The files are partial.  If I could copy from both drives into one disk and put the data together i would be happy!

Ahhh icic.... Well, try sticking it onto another Intel system. Let me know if it works out. Good luck! =)