Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anton Rabanus

Custom PC for 3D Rendering and Animation

2 posts in this topic

Dear Comunity, 

I am planning on building a Custom PC that I can use for 3D Rendering, Animation, Video editing and gaming to some extent (not a priority though). However I have never built a custom PC, which is why I don't know which components work best together. I am on a budget of maximum 1.500 Euros (1590 US Dollars). As well as this I am planning on keeping this build for the next 4-5 years, so that it isn't outdated in the next 2.

At the moment the only component that I have bought is the tower, (Phanteks Eclipse P400), 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700
  • RAM: HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4 2133MHz (2x)
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
  • PCU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W? I am not sure how to determine which is best.
  • Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 1060. Two if possible
  • CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. Again, I am not shure if there is a better solution for cooling, that keeps it on budget.

If I add up all the components as listed above, (2x the gtx 1060, as well as 2x he RAM) it adds up to 1610 EU (1700 US Dollars). Which is over my budget. Could you help me in changing some components so that the budget fits?

Thank you very much,

Anton Rabanus

Hmm... your build actually has some issues. The Intel Core i7-7700 CPU won't work with the X99 Gaming motherboard. They're on different platforms. You need a Z270 like the Z270 PRIME-A. An easy way to tell if they're compatible is by their sockets. X99 is LGA2011v3 and the Z270 boards are LGA 1151. That should put you under budget. 

For the power supply, that one is fine. Super Flower makes some good stuff. Why two GTX 1060's? If you're buying a new system, always opt for a single more powerful card vs two. Gives you options down the road, less heat, and scaling isn't always 100% so your actual performance is never actually double what a single can do. Not to mention there's usually some driver issue that screws everything up. I'd only buy a second if it's actually the only option such as with the higher end stuff like a GTX Titan X. As for the cooler, that NH-D15 is great, but considering you're not getting a K series SKU, I'm assuming you're not planning on overclocking. If that's the case, you don't need something that powerful or that expensive. A Hyper 212 EVO will do the job just fine.