degesart

pc built - for 3d render and vr painting

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

So I'm trying to make my new working station that will still be optimal in 4 years. Because 4 years ago I built a 2000Euros workstation but now it feel incredibly slow...

I'm concept artist, I mainly use photoshop, and a lot of 3d with big render. The problem I've now, my render are taking ages and I'm loosing time. Also, I'm going in the new VR tech and will try VR painting.

So, what I want to build it's a high speed render computer.

Maybe I'm going too high on the configuration, feel free to tell me that I don't need so much or there are better way and cheaper way to make an awesome computer!

• CPU : Intel Core i7-6900K (3.2 GHz) 8 cores
  • RAM : G.Skill RipJaws 5 Series Noir 64 Go (4x 16 Go) DDR4 3000 MHz CL14
  • alim  : XT-1000P 80PLUS Platinum 
  • motherboard : ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
  • CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken X62
  • Storage Drive : Seagate IronWolf 4 To
  • HTC VIVE
  • Graphic Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 Go
  • Boot drive : Intel Solid-State Drive 600p Series 512 Go
  • Case : Thermaltake Core P5 Tempered Glass Edition

the total of that (included HTC vive at 900 euros, mouse and keyboard, fans and mount) is 5300 Euros.

Yes, it's a really expensive workstation, but I think with this kind of workstation I'm good for the next 4-5 years!

Let me know if there are other way to build a really good workstation or if I could have even better for a cheaper price

Thanks!

The system looks very good. For the SSD, I would go with the Samsung 960 PRO if the budget allows and if you can find stock. It's significantly better than the Intel 600P. I would recommend the Intel 600p more for general computing rather than workstation. Slower and significantly lower endurance. If you're working with large 3D render projects, it will be a bottleneck. Aside form that, you can go lower wattage on that power supply. 1000w is massively overkill for a single GTX 1080. 650W would be much more reasonable and should be a lot cheaper. If you're not gaming on it, also consider a Quadro card. Also, the IronWolf HDD is designed for NAS use. Why not get the Seagate Barracuda? Same thing, no NAS oriented features for a lower price.