Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCLegend

What is Vulkan Run Time Libraries

5 posts in this topic

I have a question. Hope this is the right place for it. I just reinstalled my PC because of a virus / malware infection. I recently went into the control panel programs and features and saw that there's a "Vulkan Run Time libraries" made by LunarG, Inc. Didn't notice that before and I didn't install it. Thought it was a virus. Did some research online and looks like it's something for graphics. I haven't heard of it. Anybody know what it does and if I need to keep it? I have a GTX 970 GPU. 

Worry not! They're both harmless. Vulkan is a graphics API that was initiated by AMD and handed off to the Khronos Group. LunarG is a software company that makes tools to develop applications using the Vulkan graphics API. Chances are these are bundled with a game/application you have installed.

Learn more about Vulkan and its advantages here.

Yup. Like Tom said, it's an API that was formerly from AMD that was handed over to Khronos group. Nvidia adopted it into their driver packages a while back which is why it's showing up as an installed app on your system. 

Well in that case I'm glad I haven't got rid of it. Any idea what games or applications actually use the Vulkan Run Time Libraries? Just curious at this point. Haven't heard much about it. 

I think DOOM is the big one for Vulkan. Not sure about any other game. AFAIK, Vulkan isn't super popular compared to DX12 which seems like it's going to be the major gaming API going forward.