Gmoore6550

Customizing a dell optiplex 780 mt

5 posts in this topic

HI all I came across a dell optiplex 780 mini tower last week for $50 with the q45 express chipset and the LGA 775 I'm kind of confused on the above chart. But I was wanting to know if I could get a Xeon processor or an i7 or something with a bit more power that what's in it now.  Thanks in advance

also I need ideas for case mods for the same computer and any other mods that I can do to it. 

I allready own a really nice gaming pc but would be nice if I could do a little gaming on it as well 

Here's what I found on the Optiplex 780. Looks like it comes in 4 form factors. 

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/optiplex_780_tech_spec_sheet.pdf

Your options are as follows: Intel Core 2 Quad (not available on USFF), Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Pentium Dual Core, Intel Celeron Dual Core, Intel Celeron

As for casemods, what are you trying to do?

That mod is for if you want to use Xeon processors. That would be up to you. At this point, both Xeon and non-Xeon processors are relatively cheap, so it shouldn't make much of a difference. In terms of performance, Xeon and non-Xeon are about the same as well. 

The casemods sound like a plan as well. If you add a window, you can always add some LED strips in there as well. 

For getting accurate and better processor results i recommend you to post your query on dell official forums or just read various articles present-on dell official website. But according to users's experience best processor upgrade for DELL OPTIPLEX 780 is:

Intel® Core™2 Quad 

Intel® Core™2 Duo;

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core;

Intel® Celeron® Dual Core;

Intel® Celeron®

Chipset Intel® Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO

For more assistant support check Dell Optiplex 780 Manual