Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sam.chen

Official Best Computer Cases Thread

18 posts in this topic

Just started a new section on the website on recommended hardware and I thought I'd start off with "Best Computer Cases". It's an ongoing project to recommend website visitors the best PC cases out there, so this is the official thread for that page. Feel free to leave comments about the page, or some recommendations on what should be added. I'm definitely going to be adding to the page as we go. Link to the Best Computer Cases page

Start a tread on the forum "Recomended Hardware by Users"
Sure! I'm actually thinking of starting a thread for every major component then making a compilation page of the popular hardware on the website when I get some time. biggrin.png

This is a cool thread! Hopefully more people will post and hope your site will expand tremendously! That said, I've keeping an eye on the HAF X. I think its the overall tough case that attracts me to it. No need to spend money on Aluminium case since the fans will get the job done.

The HAF 932 wold be more my choice and suggestion for those who want to select between top-mount PSU (shorter run for the 24 & 8 pin lines, longer run for PCI-E lines) or bottom-mount PSU (longer 24 & 8 pin lines, shorter PCI-E lines) if they're not using a XL-ATX board like Gigabyte's G1 Assassin (in which case - go with the HAF X).

I've been using the Thermaltake Dokker for a while now. I must say I really like it. It's cheap and looks pretty good. Lots of fan space and can fit up to twelve inch cards I believe. There is also some cable management but I didn't use it when I was putting my pc together. All-in-all it's a great case. Thermaltakeusa » Chassis » Mid Tower » Dokker Series » Dokker : Dokker VM600M1W2Z

Best fit PC case This might be the wrong place to put this (I'm a new user :P. I've been planning on making my custom Gaming PC. I have everything except for the gaming case, CPU(waiting for Ivy Bridge) and Motherboard(to support IB and PCIe 3.0). What has really been hard for me is trying to find a PC case that will fit my specifications and the tight space I am planning to put it in. I can either put it in a (H:16in D:17.5in W:8.5in) or a (H:17.5in D:15.5in W:9.25in) space. As shown, it is very hard to find a good case for the 1st space because of the height, and the the 2nd space because of the depth. I want a case that has: +1-2 external drives for DVD/BluRay drives +2 internal 3.5in drives for HDDs(1 acceptable, if already a 2.5in drive space) +1 2.5in drive for Boot-drive +have 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front (USB 2.0 acceptable) +have several USB 2.0/3.0 ports in back +Have room for a Sound Card(Perferably 7.1 surround sound) +Contain a Motherboard which will support PCIe 3.0 and Ivy Bridge +Be able to contain a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 +And of course looks awasome(If you find one that doesn't look that 'hot', I'll take it into consideration:) Here's what I basically have so far: • PSU- Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply - 750 Watts, ATX, 140mm Fan, 80 Plus Bronze, SLI Ready, Active PFC ---$99.99 from Tigerdirect. • RAM- 2x Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered ---2x$47.99=$95.98 from Tigerdirect • GPU- SAPPHIRE 11196-02-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (OC Version) ---$399.99 from Newegg • Boot Drive- Patriot PW240GS25SSDR Wildfire 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III 6Gb/s, Includes 3.5" Bracket ---$359.99 after $60 rebate (ends 4/30) from Tigerdirect • BluRay/DVD Drive- SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support – OEM ---$64.99 from Newegg • Hard Drive- Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s ---$79.99 after $20 rebate (ends 4/21) from Tigerdirect

This might be the wrong place to put this (I'm a new user :P. I've been planning on making my custom Gaming PC. I have everything except for the gaming case, CPU(waiting for Ivy Bridge) and Motherboard(to support IB and PCIe 3.0). What has really been hard for me is trying to find a PC case that will fit my specifications and the tight space I am planning to put it in. I can either put it in a (H:16in D:17.5in W:8.5in) or a (H:17.5in D:15.5in W:9.25in) space. As shown, it is very hard to find a good case for the 1st space because of the height, and the the 2nd space because of the depth. I want a case that has: +1-2 external drives for DVD/BluRay drives +2 internal 3.5in drives for HDDs(1 acceptable, if already a 2.5in drive space) +1 2.5in drive for Boot-drive +have 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front (USB 2.0 acceptable) +have several USB 2.0/3.0 ports in back +Have room for a Sound Card(Perferably 7.1 surround sound) +Contain a Motherboard which will support PCIe 3.0 and Ivy Bridge +Be able to contain a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 +And of course looks awasome(If you find one that doesn't look that 'hot', I'll take it into consideration:) Here's what I basically have so far: • PSU- Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply - 750 Watts, ATX, 140mm Fan, 80 Plus Bronze, SLI Ready, Active PFC ---$99.99 from Tigerdirect. • RAM- 2x Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered ---2x$47.99=$95.98 from Tigerdirect • GPU- SAPPHIRE 11196-02-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (OC Version) ---$399.99 from Newegg • Boot Drive- Patriot PW240GS25SSDR Wildfire 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III 6Gb/s, Includes 3.5" Bracket ---$359.99 after $60 rebate (ends 4/30) from Tigerdirect • BluRay/DVD Drive- SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support – OEM ---$64.99 from Newegg • Hard Drive- Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s ---$79.99 after $20 rebate (ends 4/21) from Tigerdirect
Hmm.. think it'd be best if you could start a new thread on this... What motherboard are you planning to purchase? If you're ok with a mATX case (which means you need a mATX motherboard) you can buy a SilverStone TJ08-E. It's a very nice, very classy looking case that should fit into both space 1 or space 2. I've personally used it in a build myself and it seems to have everything you're looking for. ewzF-EvIwmg Also, an FYI that SSD is grossly overpriced. You can get an Intel 520 240GB SSD, which is one of the most coveted SSDs on the market for only $334.99 on Amazon. Or you can get what I recommend, a Crucial m4 256GB SSD for only $289.44 on Amazon. Both of those are the top when it comes to performance with the Intel SSD carrying a 5 year warranty. Also, for the graphics card, I'd grab an ASUS HD7950 if you're not planning Crossfire in the future. It has a triple slot cooler, which is more powerful than the Sapphire, but it'll give you better performance for only $20 more.

I always really liked the layout and aesthetics of the Phantom Series by NZXT. This one in particular was very appealing to me' date=' special edition I believe.[/quote'] I have the NZXT phantom and it is amazing. I have always been an air cooling guy and the amount of ventilation is amazing, not to mention the large amount of space for a CPU cooler. The price can't be beat, either. Plus, it is just a super sexy case! :D Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've owned two case models in the past few years. Prior to this stretch I used to get cheaper aluminum cases that were very light and inexpensive. Over time however, the amount of hardware I'd keep in my cases grew and so did the thermal requirements. Eventually, I ran into temperature issues with overheating due to poor airflow in my case. This launched a serious case search. I wanted something durable, something that would be future proof, great airflow, and I wanted to minimize noise. First off I settled on 120mm fans, prior to this I was using 80mm fans in my cases. Next up I wanted steel construction to provide the durability I required and also to eliminate the noise from aluminum vibration. After setting those requirements along with a need for a full tower case (I was running 2x optical, 1x floppy, and 5x hard drives at the time) I found one case that was perfect for me. The Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Cosmos 1000 - Cooler Master (Sadly this case is no longer a production item) This case met all my requirements, had a drive arrangement I loved, and also allowed me to use up to 5x 120mm fans. Needless to say I ended up getting another one of these cases for my second computer. Just last month however, I ran into the issue of hitting max capacity for drive bays as I'm currently up to 6x hard drives and a SSD on top of that with the need to start adding more drives in parallel in the near future. So I started another search. My requirements were pretty much the same but I obviously had a need for more 3.5" drive bays. Enter the Cooler Master Cosmos II. Cosmos II - Cooler Master This case is pretty unbelievable. In my opinion a true successor to the original Cosmos 1000. The only con about this case that it is absolutely massive. It dwarfs the Cosmos 1000 and weighs almost 50 lbs empty. That said it's the only case I found with features like a built in fan controller, support for 13x 3.5" drives, and loads of cooling customization. My vote for the best super large case? The Cosmos II. And for a standard full tower? The Cosmos 1000. I know a lot of people go with the HAF or HAF X but I find the Cosmos 1000/II to be far superior build quality.

Full tower case: Corsair Obsidian 800d Coolermaster cosomos II Coolermaster stormtrooper NZXT Phantom Mid tower: Corsair 600t Corsair Vengeance NZXT Phantom 410

Im going with the NZXT SWITCH 810 Full tower Case Material Used: -Plastic/Steel (WxHxD): 235x595x585mm Drive Bays: -4external 5.25" bays -6internal 3.5" bays -(top 5.25" plates removable -expansion slots:9 MoB support: E-Atx, XL-Atx, ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ATX Cooling system: -Front: 2x120/140mm -Rear: 1x120/140mm -Bottom: 2x120/140mm -Top: 3x120/140mm -interior: 2x120/140mm Large window on side panel Dual USB3.0 4water cooling cutouts Top and bottom support liquid cooling with top support max of 420mm rad. And bottom supporting max of 240mm rad.

+1 for the Phantom 410. I have white/blue. It's gorgeous, highly functional, and the fact that it's roof is pitched discourages you from putting your beer on it if your desk is messy. Also NZXT's $40 case seemed to be a stellar budget case according to the reviews I read when choosing my case.