10 replies to this topic

#1 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

hey guys, i got my 7970, worked fine for about 2 hours,
then this happend:
but after about 1 minute it stops doing this and has a bad flicker to the monitor,
Posted Image

My second screen VIA DVI-VGA addapter works fine while this happens,
i tried changing it to 59 hertz and i'll see if it helps but i just wanted to post this,

i'l change the HDMI cable and try a DVI too, so dont bother suggesting them

thanks in advance

#2 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Update : i got it down to 59 hertz and it's been fine ever since, UPDATE 2: It happend again, even at 59 hertz, it only seems to effect the primary monitor, anyone have any idea's? im onto DVI cable now, so i'll see how that works out for now, i'll kick it back up to 60 hertz for now, until i see more problems Speaking of that, why is 59 hertz even an option? can anyone shed some light on it?

#3 Masael255

Masael255

VIP

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Update : i got it down to 59 hertz and it's been fine ever since,

UPDATE 2: It happend again, even at 59 hertz, it only seems to effect the primary monitor, anyone have any idea's?
im onto DVI cable now, so i'll see how that works out for now, i'll kick it back up to 60 hertz for now, until i see more problems
Speaking of that, why is 59 hertz even an option? can anyone shed some light on it?

I remember having flicker problems and the like on my 5870 with dual monitors. I fixed it by completely uninstalling all AMD software/drivers ad reinstalling. It was a bit of a pain but some driver was messed up and needed a fresh install.

As for the 59 hertz, I believe the setting is geared for TVs rather than monitors. Monitors run in refresh rates intervals of 15, 30, 60, 120, etc. NTSC TVs run in intervals of 29.97 and double that is 59.94, the 59hz setting. So if you're using a TV as your monitor, 59 is the way to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#4 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

I remember having flicker problems and the like on my 5870 with dual monitors. I fixed it by completely uninstalling all AMD software/drivers ad reinstalling. It was a bit of a pain but some driver was messed up and needed a fresh install.

As for the 59 hertz, I believe the setting is geared for TVs rather than monitors. Monitors run in refresh rates intervals of 15, 30, 60, 120, etc. NTSC TVs run in intervals of 29.97 and double that is 59.94, the 59hz setting. So if you're using a TV as your monitor, 59 is the way to go.

Ahh wow, thanks for the info,
and i'll have a go at changing the drivers to a new one again..
i'm using DVI and it hasnt done it so far, but it happens mainly in windowd things, like internet explorer and general computer use, gaming fullscreen is flawless so much power >:D

#5 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

UPDATE:
I had to change back to the HDMI but while i was using the DVI flawless,
Once i changed back to HDMI, i think aroun 10 minutes out of full screen game, it did it again,
it seems to effect only the primary monitor however..

Primary VIA HDMI
Posted Image

Unplugg HDMI
Posted Image

So yeah, i might have to go pick up a DVI cable for now, but i don't really like this being here at all, especially with a brand new $550 GPU (yes AU prices are retarded)

#6 Masael255

Masael255

VIP

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

UPDATE:
I had to change back to the HDMI but while i was using the DVI flawless,
Once i changed back to HDMI, i think aroun 10 minutes out of full screen game, it did it again,
it seems to effect only the primary monitor however..

Primary VIA HDMI
Posted Image

Unplugg HDMI
Posted Image

So yeah, i might have to go pick up a DVI cable for now, but i don't really like this being here at all, especially with a brand new $550 GPU (yes AU prices are retarded)

Just for a test, I tried two monitors on my 7970. No problems on my end. Who made your card? And are you OCing it? What are the temps on HDMI vs DVI? And mine was $500 here in the US a month or so ago. Haha. Best arvo to you, sir Aussie. :D

#7 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Just for a test, I tried two monitors on my 7970. No problems on my end. Who made your card? And are you OCing it? What are the temps on HDMI vs DVI? And mine was $500 here in the US a month or so ago. Haha. Best arvo to you, sir Aussie. :D

I got the XFX DD Black edition, but its weird that it is only effecting the primary monitor, would that be driver related?
HDMI and DVI both work, but with DVI havent had the problem,
since its the main screeni think its just a lineup of evvents that make the DRivers go spastic for a minute.2

#8 sam.chen

sam.chen

Admin

• Administrators
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

I got the XFX DD Black edition, but its weird that it is only effecting the primary monitor, would that be driver related?
HDMI and DVI both work, but with DVI havent had the problem,
since its the main screeni think its just a lineup of evvents that make the DRivers go spastic for a minute.2

Since it only affects the primary monitor, I'm more inclined to think there's something wrong with the primary monitor instead of the graphics card. Does this happen if you're using integrated graphics?

#9 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Since it only affects the primary monitor, I'm more inclined to think there's something wrong with the primary monitor instead of the graphics card. Does this happen if you're using integrated graphics?

My motherboard doesnt support Video outputs,
and i've never had this problem until my 7970, so i'm inclined to think its just a series of events that make this happen..

#10 sam.chen

sam.chen

Admin

• Administrators
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

My motherboard doesnt support Video outputs,
and i've never had this problem until my 7970, so i'm inclined to think its just a series of events that make this happen..

That's really strange... did you ever get this fixed? I'd love to hear what happens. :)

#11 Vanhodid

Vanhodid

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

That's really strange... did you ever get this fixed? I'd love to hear what happens. :)

Well, i've narrowed it down to opening flash seems to make this happen, remove the youtube tab again and its back to normal,
well close enough to normal, can see again but the lines are crap,

here's a quick vid
[youtube]_hE1kYWzwuQ&feature=plcp[/youtube]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users