Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srbell

Another newb mess up!

5 posts in this topic

When putting all the parts together for my workstation I may have messed up the RAM. I've got an Asus X79 Deluxe and purchased two Dominator Platinum 32GB 1866 kits for a total of 64. Unfortunately one kit's C9 and the other is C10. Didn't even realize this was an option lol! So is it possible to use the 8 sticks given the mixed timing, or do I need to return one kit for the same timing? Really appreciate everyone's help so far.

Maybe even worse, now I have the motherboard it includes a list of compatible ram kits... The largest for the Corsair 1866 kits are 32GB. You mean only certain brands can expand to 64GB? Sounds weird.

You should be fine. Just make sure to use the CL9 kit in CL10 mode. You can do that by manually setting the timings. Preferably you'd return the kit and get a matching one, but CL9 kits can run in CL10 without issue. The list of compatible kits is simply what ASUS as tested so far to be working. Obviously, it's difficult for ASUS to test every since DDR3 kit in existence, so a lot of DDR3 kits will work even if it isn't on the list. The Dominator kit should go up to 64GB without issue especially if you're only using 8GB DIMMs.