2 replies to this topic

#1 Errick

Errick

n00b

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hello there folks!

I'm looking to purchase a graduation present for my son. I don't know much about video editing itself so I cannot offer you any titles that he uses, but I do know he does a fair amount of it at school and is looking to also continue it as an extracurricular activity post graduation. He's also an avid PC gamer. To keep a long story short, he wants a top end computer to replace what he's been stuck with. He's worked hard and as such I plan on treating him to a nice surprise when he gets back home!

Anyways, I've done a fair amount of research and think I've selected an appropriate computer build that will (hopefully) suite his needs from a LONG time. I myself am a beginner at building (general knowledge of individual parts), but I have an experienced work colleague who has offered to help me install all the parts. I thoroughly enjoy handy projects and am sure this will provide me quite a different task to complete. I am also hoping air cooling will be sufficient enough as he has not installed water cooling before.

I'm located in the US and am planning to use Newegg/Amazon to order all the parts unless I can find them cheaper in local stores. I used Best High End Video Editing/Gaming PC Build [May 2012] | Custom PC Review as my platform to build on and did some tweaking of it based of further reading that I have done.

The Build:
Case: Corsair SE Graphite Series 600T 163.17
Power Supply: Corsair AX750 149.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 560.98
Heat Sink: Phanteks 89.99
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 329.99
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 99.99
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 462.50x2
Hard Drive 1: OCZ 256GB Vertex 4 243.79
Hard Drive 2: WD Caviar Black 1 TB 92.11
DVD: LG 73.86
Monitor: Dell 27-Inch 649.99

Total: 3475.19

My main questions:
Heating - As with my above statement, I've never had parts like these in my pre-built computers and am not sure of the heat they will produce. From what I have read, air cooling should be enough but just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.

Power - I was reading that SLI required a 600 min wattage, I opted for the next step up hoping that would create a nice buffer zone. I'm not sure how much all the other gadgets and gizmos draw from the power source so also wanted to check and make sure it's enough!

Space - I'm having a hard time finding how to determine if my heatsink will fit, the mobo is different in my build vs yours and am unsure on how to check if it is appropriate.

The mobo is currently out of stock - at both newegg and amazon. If I can't find it locally, I'll wait till it becomes avail again and purchase everything else at the same time. I think that covers the major questions that I had, I'll be sure to edit my post if I have any more questions! Of course if you guys have any other input for me I'd love to hear!

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 sam.chen

sam.chen

Admin

• Administrators
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

My main questions:
Heating - As with my above statement, I've never had parts like these in my pre-built computers and am not sure of the heat they will produce. From what I have read, air cooling should be enough but just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.

Power - I was reading that SLI required a 600 min wattage, I opted for the next step up hoping that would create a nice buffer zone. I'm not sure how much all the other gadgets and gizmos draw from the power source so also wanted to check and make sure it's enough!

Space - I'm having a hard time finding how to determine if my heatsink will fit, the mobo is different in my build vs yours and am unsure on how to check if it is appropriate.

The mobo is currently out of stock - at both newegg and amazon. If I can't find it locally, I'll wait till it becomes avail again and purchase everything else at the same time. I think that covers the major questions that I had, I'll be sure to edit my post if I have any more questions! Of course if you guys have any other input for me I'd love to hear!

Hey Errick, sounds like your son's going to come back to one helluva nice PC!

For cooling, the Phanteks will do fine. It's a very capable cooler, but since you're going with a SLI graphics card setup, I think you should go with the Corsair H100i cooler or some other AIO water based solution instead. The reason being that the Phanteks cooler is extremely large and that first PCIe slot on the X79 Sabertooth looks like it's awfully close to the CPU socket.

Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i: Computers & Accessories

The 750w power supply is good and should be enough for the GTX 680 in SLI. TBH I don't think it's much breathing room though, especially if you're planning to overclock the CPU or the graphics card down the road. I'd personally go with an AX850.

Amazon.com: Corsair Professional SeriesĀ  AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850): Electronics

As for the rest of the parts, I'd go with the OCZ Vector rather than the Vertex 4. The Vector is currently OCZ's flagship SSD which outperforms the Vertex 4. You also get the bonus of Far Cry 3 as well currently, so it's pretty good. Also, the ASUS blu-ray drive is on rebate, you can save a couple bucks there as well. Seagate's 1TB Barracuda is currently cheaper than the WD Black 1TB as well.

Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 7 mm Height 2.5-Inch SSD with 100K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty- VTR1-25SAT3-256G: Electronics

Amazon.com: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive with Disc Encryption - Black - Retail Box: Electronics

Amazon.com: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003: Electronics

#3 Eminence Front

Eminence Front

n00b

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

680 in SLI is friggin awesome man. I would personally use a multiscreen setup with those gpu's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users