Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Ivy Bridge-E 4960K - 6 cores FTW

Hi!

I will go with the Intel 6 cores mainstream series that will come out soon enough. So here's the build i'd like to start from and i'm looking for some help to build a great machine. No limit of budget, since i don't build a server monster. Simply a good desktop workstation.

Ok!

-

FOR: 3D rendering (after effects / C4D) Photoshop/Illustrator.
    And of course some Battlefield 4 will happen too, but this build is made for work

CASE: Cooler Master HAF-X (e-atx) or the Corsair 600T (atx)
    It depends of the motherboard size..

MOBO: Evga Dark 79 (e-atx) or the Asus P9X79 (atx)
    The brand new Dark 79 is overclock friendly. The BIOS looks great. What you guys think about it?

CPU: Intel 4960K - Ivy Bridge-E
    I'd like to overclock my next CPU a little bit, but not that much. This is a workstation and i don't want to burn it. I am right to think that way?

CPU COOLER: CORSAIR H100i
    A cpu cooler that will fit on both case without any further adjustment

STORAGE / GPU: I own them already (couple of SSD's + an NVIDIA 680)
    So what's next..

-

MEMORY: What would be the best buy option currently, is the performance worth the price? I don't know a thing about memory.. any experience of yours would be cool.

L3 CACHE: Does anybody has experience with the 3930K vs 3960K ? The L3 cache seems to be the main reason why we have to pay + $500 to own the Intel's flagship.....

POWER SUPPLY: Any advice? I own a thermaltake 750W, but i'd like to change for the new build. Do you know a reliable choice, what would be the Best of the best brand (for your money)

OPTICAL DRIVE: Any preference?

-

Thanks!
    Have an A1 Day

For memory, you just need a quad channel kit, so 4 DIMMs of memory. As for frequency, it doesn't really matter but I find that 1600MHz or 1866MHz is usually the best. I wouldn't pay more than $20 going up a tier though. Memory doesn't make much of a difference in real world performance.

L3 cache doesn't make much of a difference TBH. I usually recommend going with the 3930K or I think it'll be 4930K.

PSU, I'd go with a Corsair AX series PSU. Pretty much any Corsair PSU with the exception of the CX series and a limited run of the HX series are good. They're all top tier Seasonic manufactured units. Obviously, Seasonic units are good as well, but Corsair somehow offers longer warranties on their units, which is why I tend to go with their stuff.

Optical drive, just go with any OEM drive. If you need Blu-Ray then you can go with a Blu-Ray drive.

Comment

Originally posted by sam.cpcr View Post
      L3 cache doesn't make much of a difference TBH.
      I don't understand the small number of 8, 12 and 15MB per core.

Since we talk about an high-end CPU, the Intel's flagship, we are talking about video editing, multi-multi-task works and music production as well..

3MB x 6 CORES = 18MB of what exactly?

I read about it, i see that the L3 Cache is some sort of memory space who deal with the repetitive tasks of a program to avoid a bottleneck. But i can't find examples that shows what those 3MB do precisely for that kind of work.

Comment

You can think of L1, L2, and L3 cache like RAM for the CPU. In terms of speed, L1 faster than L2 faster than L3 faster than RAM faster than SSD faster than HDD. More RAM makes your programs faster because more programs can be loaded into RAM. Same as L3. If more can be loaded into L3, then more programs can be quick accessed and less has to be pulled from slower RAM. With Intel, the L3 is shared between the cores, so any core can use up the L3.

In real world testing though, there really isn't a whole lot of difference in performance by increasing the L3 from 12MB (i7 3930K) to 15MB (i7 3960X).

Comment

Ok! Many thanks for the explanations

Comment

Working...
          X