X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build for server and family

I'm building out a workstation that will be used primarily for my work, but will also be used for occasional gaming and photo / video editing my my family. I liked a previous build you posted a last year. I've also read through a helpful thread last month.

I'd love to get your feedback. I've build two PCs before. Our current family PC needs to be replaced quickly...... I have not had much time to plan this through.

CPU Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard ASUS P9X79 WS
    Memory 16GB Kingston Technology HyperX DDR3 1600MHz (4x4)
    Boot Drive Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Storage Drive - TBD (Probably go with two Seagate 1TB)
    Optical Drive - TBD (I'll pull one from an old system)
    PSU Corsair Professional Series 760 Platinum (not sure if I need one this big)
    Case Cooler Master HAF X - Full Tower (I will use the drive bays - it really does not have to look fancy)
    CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE Black
    Operating System Windows 8

Thanks!

Everything looks good, but I think you may have forgot to include the graphics card. You'll definitely want one because the X79 platform doesn't have integrated video. Since you'll be doing video editing, I think an Nvidia card will suit you better as a lot of video encoding and editing apps now support CUDA acceleration. You'll definitely want a gaming oriented one since you're planning on doing gaming.

For occasional gaming, I think the GTX 660 is a good balance between price and performance. The sweet spot if you will.

Amazon.com: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card N660 TF 2GD5/OC: Computers & Accessories

If you have a larger budget, and you want to be playing all the latest games at the highest graphics settings, you'll probably want a GTX 680.

Amazon.com: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card: Electronics

As for the power supply, the one you chose is overkill as you can easily get away with a 650 or so watt power supply and . That said, I don't think Corsair has a digitally controlled, 80 plus platinum power supply under 760w, so this might be the only option if you want some of the benefits of having a digitally controlled psu like PSU monitoring through Corsair Link and stuff. IMO, the better option if you want something high efficiency is the AX750. Costs significantly less than the 760i and it's still a beastly power supply with excellent voltage regulation and low ripple/noise.

Amazon.com: Corsair Professional Series* AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX750): Electronics

Comment

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

I was actually looking at the same video card you recommended. I'm going with the high end card to future proof the PC some. I tend to keep my systems fo 5 years; I hate swapping parts once I have them and stable. My son will also enjoy it. Our current PC is from 2008.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sseaney View Post
        Hello,

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

I was actually looking at the same video card you recommended. I'm going with the high end card to future proof the PC some. I tend to keep my systems fo 5 years; I hate swapping parts once I have them and stable. My son will also enjoy it. Our current PC is from 2008.

Steve
        No problem. Glad to help. That PC is going to be a monster!

Comment

Working...
        X