X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gaming PC

Hi there! I'm pretty new to PC gaming,but decided that this summer I'm going to get my first real gaming pc. Up until now, I've been playing games primarily on an xbox 360 and (don't laugh) a macbook pro retina. While this was fine initially, I decided it's high time to get a bit more serious. So, any advice on where to look to buy one for noob like me? I almost definitely wanna go pre-built, as I'm not yet comfortable enough with the hardware to go full on custom build, but so far some of the more appealing options are an alienware X51 or a custom rig from ibuypower or cyberpowerpc. Thoughts and suggestiong welcome! Thanks everyone!

Forgot to mention, it would be almost strictly for gaming. I'd be playing everything from minecraft to crysis 3, so I'd want a pretty powerful rig. Thanks again!

Comment

Well, building a custom system isn't too difficult. There's tons of YouTube videos online that teach you step by step how to do it. We generally do a build parts list that's updated regularly, so you could check those for inspiration on what parts you need.

Best Gaming PC Computer Builds | Custom PC Review

Otherwise, CyberPowerPC and IbuyPower are good companies and they do a good job putting the systems together. With Alienware, you're a bit limited on what kind of hardware you want in terms of the motherboard, power supply, etc. and they usually run a bit expensive so I'm not a huge fan.

Comment

Thanks man! In that case, between ibuypower and cyberpowerpc, do you think one is better than the other? I've heard mixed reviews about both, some really good and some downright awful. Also, since my room is pretty small, is there a good SFF case you can recommend that either of them might have?

Comment

Well, after a bit more consideration and research, I came to the conclusion that building my own rig isn't out of the question. I figure it can't be that hard, it's simply a matter of looking for good parts at good prices, then watching shit-tons of tutorials. So, here's what I came up with:

Case- Corsair Carbide 200r ($60)
          MoBo- Gigabyte Z77X-D3H ($157)
          CPU- Intel core i5-3570k ($230)
          GPU- EVGA Superclocked Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB ($230)
          RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) Low Profile 1600 MHz ($60)
          Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM Drive ($76)
          OS- Windows 8 ($95)
          Disc Drive- Asus Disk Drive ($25)
          PSU- Corsair 650-Watt ($105)

Thoughts or advice? More importantly, will it run? And will it have wifi?

P.S. Sorry for the mildly excessive posting! I appreciate your patience!

Comment

Yup it's not that difficult. Just spend a bit of time watching some YouTube videos and reading some tutorials and you should be good to go. Definitely don't rush things and if you're not sure how something works, just be sure to ask.

As for your build, it looks good. It doesn't have Wifi, so you'll either want to invest in a Wifi card or a motherboard that has onboard wifi if you need Wifi. Personally, I suggest just going with a motherboard that has Wifi so you won't have to deal with USB or PCIe wifi cards, but it's up to you. An awesome motherboard that has Wifi would be the ASUS P8Z77.

Amazon.com: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

Comment

I'll be damned. I just checked what it would cost to build the same rig on cyberpower, and it would actually cost LESS than what I came up with. Maybe I'll go prebuilt after all.

Comment

Yeah, it's not a bad choice. I've had a number of friends who buy rigs from CyberPowerPC just so they don't have to spend time putting everything together. Personally I like putting everything together myself, but that's just me lol. Once you receive the system though, be sure to open it up and inspect everything. Make sure shipping hasn't damaged anything, the correct parts are in there, and the wiring is done properly.

Comment

Sounds great! Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X