Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help recommend workstation build for 3d modeling/Rhino,Zbrush, Solid Works- $2500

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help recommend workstation build for 3d modeling/Rhino,Zbrush, Solid Works- $2500

I am a first time builder with minimal computer component knowledge but I'm very mechanical. What prerequisites does one need to create a successful build and what video reference material do you suggest. I have watched some video put out by Newegg.com and it seems like most of this building is modular in nature and straight forward. Should I be concerned about my level of experience and the difficulty in debugging any issues.

I'm interested in the workstation that was featured in one of your articles a year ago. I'm an Industrial Designer and would like to use Solid Works, Rhino 3d modeling with rendering capabilities and Z brush software on this machine. The following is a copy of the suggested components. I was wondering if these are still recommended at this time. I noticed that the motherboard and the cpu cooling fan were in limited stock at Amazon. My research into the Rhino software has shown they recommend Nvidia Quadro graphics cards. I'm thinking about the 4000 card.

CPU Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)
    Memory 16GB Kingston Technology HyperX DDR3 1600MHz
    Boot Drive Intel 520 256GB SSD
    Storage Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Optical Drive - OEM DVD Drive or OEM Blu Ray Drive (Any Manufacturer)
    PSU Seasonic 560W 80 Plus Gold
    Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
    CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE White
    Operating System Windows 7 64 bit

Thank you for any thoughts regarding my concerns.

Hey, welcome to the forums. Putting together a PC is quite straightforward. The Newegg videos are pretty good. There should be some more guides online, but yeah everything is pretty modular and designed to just fit right in these days.

As far as components go, everything looks good. Intel isn't planning to update the processor until Q3 this year, so it's a safe bet to buy now. If motherboard is low on stock, so you can go with the ASUS P9X79.

Amazon.com: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

If the CPU fan is low on stock, you can go with either another color of it, or you can go with an all in one water cooling setup like the Corsair H100i.

Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i: Computers & Accessories

For the graphics card, I did a quick search and found a recommended list of cards. Yeah it looks like that Quadro 4000, Quadro 5000, and Quadro 6000 is a good choice based on the notes. PNY makes a good Quadro 4000. It's expensive though.

Amazon.com: NVIDIA Quadro 4000 by PNY 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Gen 2 x16 DVI-I DL, Dual DisplayPort and Stereo OpenGL, DirectX, CUDA, and OpenCL Profesional Graphics Board, VCQ4000-PB: Electronics

Comment

$2500 3d workstation build

Originally posted by sam.cpcr View Post
      Hey, welcome to the forums. Putting together a PC is quite straightforward. The Newegg videos are pretty good. There should be some more guides online, but yeah everything is pretty modular and designed to just fit right in these days.

As far as components go, everything looks good. Intel isn't planning to update the processor until Q3 this year, so it's a safe bet to buy now. If motherboard is low on stock, so you can go with the ASUS P9X79.

Amazon.com: ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard: Computers & Accessories

If the CPU fan is low on stock, you can go with either another color of it, or you can go with an all in one water cooling setup like the Corsair H100i.

Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i: Computers & Accessories

For the graphics card, I did a quick search and found a recommended list of cards. Yeah it looks like that Quadro 4000, Quadro 5000, and Quadro 6000 is a good choice based on the notes. PNY makes a good Quadro 4000. It's expensive though.

Amazon.com: NVIDIA Quadro 4000 by PNY 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Gen 2 x16 DVI-I DL, Dual DisplayPort and Stereo OpenGL, DirectX, CUDA, and OpenCL Profesional Graphics Board, VCQ4000-PB: Electronics
      Thank you for your suggestions. I was wondering, if both motherboards are available which one would you choose? It seems that the reviews on Amazon favor the Asus unit. Should I go with the Asus WS version if I'm more concerned for a stable system?

I am also wondering if this cpu is the most appropriate for a workstation. Is the Intel Zeon E5-16203.6 ghz any better or worse? I read something about memory correction capabilities that this chip has with the RAM. Is this worth while?

By the way you mentioned other video reference on the internet for instructions on making a build. Is there some specific video instruction you like best?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mlynders View Post
        Thank you for your suggestions. I was wondering, if both motherboards are available which one would you choose? It seems that the reviews on Amazon favor the Asus unit. Should I go with the Asus WS version if I'm more concerned for a stable system?

I am also wondering if this cpu is the most appropriate for a workstation. Is the Intel Zeon E5-16203.6 ghz any better or worse? I read something about memory correction capabilities that this chip has with the RAM. Is this worth while?

By the way you mentioned other video reference on the internet for instructions on making a build. Is there some specific video instruction you like best?

Thanks
        The ASUS boards are very good. They just tend to be more expensive, that's all. As far as the WS boards vs the regular board, the WS board just has more features catered towards workstation users. For example the WS board has more SATA ports and more PCIe ports. If you need to have a ton of hard drives, you need to install RAID cards, you need to install a ton of PCIe SSDs, you need a ton of LAN ports, or you need a 4 way SLI/CrossFire GPU setup then the WS board is going to be the way to go. In terms of stability, I don't think you'll find much of a difference. Both boards will be fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about getting a Xeon processor. Those are more for servers. You can get one, but a Xeon equivalent processor will cost a whole lot more.

Since you're getting an ASUS motherboard a Corsair case and a Corsair watercooler, you could just follow this video here. Easy, haha.

Oh also, just putting it out there. Since you've got a pretty big budget, if you're picking up the Corsair H100i and you want your memory to look really damn cool you can pick up some of the Corsair Dominator Platinums. Totallly not cost effective, but they'll look amazing through that case window.

Amazon.com: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9): Computers & Accessories

Comment

Phanteks

The ASUS boards are very good. They just tend to be more expensive, that's all. As far as the WS boards vs the regular board, the WS board just has more features catered towards workstation users. For example the WS board has more SATA ports and more PCIe ports. If you need to have a ton of hard drives, you need to install RAID cards, you need to install a ton of PCIe SSDs, you need a ton of LAN ports, or you need a 4 way SLI/CrossFire GPU setup then the WS board is going to be the way to go. In terms of stability, I don't think you'll find much of a difference. Both boards will be fantastic.

I wouldn't worry about getting a Xeon processor. Those are more for servers. You can get one, but a Xeon equivalent processor will cost a whole lot more.

Since you're getting an ASUS motherboard a Corsair case and a Corsair watercooler, you could just follow this video here. Easy, haha.

Oh also, just putting it out there. Since you've got a pretty big budget, if you're picking up the Corsair H100i and you want your memory to look really damn cool you can pick up some of the Corsair Dominator Platinums. Totallly not cost effective, but they'll look amazing through that case window.

Amazon.com: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9): Computers & Accessories
          Thanks again for the great advice. I was thinking about going with the Phanteks cooler instead of the Corsair water cooler after reading the reviews of water leakage. What I noticed, though, is that there is an issue with the Phanteks cooler not leaving enough space for ram cards. Will I have an issue with the Kingston ram that is suggested in this build and if so can you recomend ram that would fit and be compatible with the Asus mother board. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks again for the great advice. I was thinking about going with the Phanteks cooler instead of the Corsair water cooler after reading the reviews of water leakage. What I noticed, though, is that there is an issue with the Phanteks cooler not leaving enough space for ram cards. Will I have an issue with the Kingston ram that is suggested in this build and if so can you recomend ram that would fit and be compatible with the Asus mother board. Thanks.
            The Phanteks is a fantastic cooler. Would definitely recommend that. Definitely check out the black edition of it. It looks awesome. As far as memory clearance issues, the Kingston HyperX Genesis will be fine. The Corsair Vengeance Low Profile is cheaper right now though, so I'd recommend going with that.

Amazon.com: Phanteks CPU Cooler with 5 x 8mm Dual Heat-pipes, 140mm Premium Fans and PWM Adaptor, Patented P.A.T.S Coating, PH-TC14PE_BK (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9): Electronics

Comment

The Phanteks is a fantastic cooler. Would definitely recommend that. Definitely check out the black edition of it. It looks awesome. As far as memory clearance issues, the Kingston HyperX Genesis will be fine. The Corsair Vengeance Low Profile is cheaper right now though, so I'd recommend going with that.

Amazon.com: Phanteks CPU Cooler with 5 x 8mm Dual Heat-pipes, 140mm Premium Fans and PWM Adaptor, Patented P.A.T.S Coating, PH-TC14PE_BK (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9): Electronics
              Thanks again! I was wondering if I use the Nvidia quadro 4000 graphic card do I need to up the wattage of the psu. I'm thinking about the Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX750). And by the way what brand of optical drive do you suggest for DVDrw or Blue ray? Are there any good manuals I should refer to for the build and os software installation? I am a little concerned I will screw up the driver installation and the set up of the ssd and the hard drive with out guidance. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks again! I was wondering if I use the Nvidia quadro 4000 graphic card do I need to up the wattage of the psu. I'm thinking about the Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX750). And by the way what brand of optical drive do you suggest for DVDrw or Blue ray? Are there any good manuals I should refer to for the build and os software installation? I am a little concerned I will screw up the driver installation and the set up of the ssd and the hard drive with out guidance. Thanks.
                NP. That PSU is more than enough for the Quadro. No worries there.

For the optical drives, I like the ASUS OEM parts. They're inexpensive and I've never had any issues with them. The Blu-Ray drive is actually a pretty good deal right now. $20 rebate making it $58.

Amazon.com: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive with Disc Encryption - Black - Retail Box: Electronics

For drivers, you'll want to just go to each manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers. You can't really screw that up. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction once you get Windows installed. To not screw up installation of the OS, just leave the hard drive out of the PC until you have Windows installed on the SSD. Then just shut down the PC and install the hard drive.

Comment

NP. That PSU is more than enough for the Quadro. No worries there.

For the optical drives, I like the ASUS OEM parts. They're inexpensive and I've never had any issues with them. The Blu-Ray drive is actually a pretty good deal right now. $20 rebate making it $58.

Amazon.com: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive with Disc Encryption - Black - Retail Box: Electronics

For drivers, you'll want to just go to each manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers. You can't really screw that up. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction once you get Windows installed. To not screw up installation of the OS, just leave the hard drive out of the PC until you have Windows installed on the SSD. Then just shut down the PC and install the hard drive.
                  I think I am almost set. I was wondering if the fan set up is adequate in the Corsair 600t case there seems to be two 200mm fans and one 120mm fan. Thanks for all your help so far!

Comment

I think I am almost set. I was wondering if the fan set up is adequate in the Corsair 600t case there seems to be two 200mm fans and one 120mm fan. Thanks for all your help so far!
                    Should be OK. You can always buy fans in the future if it does have any issues. 200mm fans move a ton of air and your CPU cooler is pretty powerful.

Comment

Should be OK. You can always buy fans in the future if it does have any issues. 200mm fans move a ton of air and your CPU cooler is pretty powerful.

Thank you for all your help. Wish me luck!

Comment

Thank you for all your help. Wish me luck!
                        NP! Let me know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                        X