Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Build. Gaming. Help please :)!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Build. Gaming. Help please :)!

Hey everyone. I have been looking around on these forums for some time just trying to expand my knowledge of computer parts. This is the first time i've ever built a gaming computer and i'm still kind of stumped on what certain things to get that would work with my overall build. The CPU and GPU were already expensive.. I thought I had a budget but i'm trying to build something really well/powerful but won't destroy my wallet. I'm planning on playing pretty much any game on this and recieve amazing frame rates and be able to play on medium - very high settings. This is what I got so far, also I don't want to overclock anything. I was wondering if some people could give me tips and ideas on what of the missing pieces I have that would go well with what I already have. Please and Thank you!

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K
    Motherboard - Not sure yet. I want something which has wifi in there that can work well with the CPU and is great for gaming.
    Memory - ?
    GPU - MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
    Case - Corsiar Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T
    Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
    Optical Drive - OEM DVD Drive
    PSU - ?
    CPU Cooler - ?

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Budget?

Comment

Since i'm a college student working at walmart I usually just buy one part every paycheck and usually spend it all on the parts... I guess no budget but nothing too ridiculous either, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by neoxas View Post
        Hey everyone. I have been looking around on these forums for some time just trying to expand my knowledge of computer parts. This is the first time i've ever built a gaming computer and i'm still kind of stumped on what certain things to get that would work with my overall build. The CPU and GPU were already expensive.. I thought I had a budget but i'm trying to build something really well/powerful but won't destroy my wallet. I'm planning on playing pretty much any game on this and recieve amazing frame rates and be able to play on medium - very high settings. This is what I got so far, also I don't want to overclock anything. I was wondering if some people could give me tips and ideas on what of the missing pieces I have that would go well with what I already have. Please and Thank you!

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K
        Motherboard - Not sure yet. I want something which has wifi in there that can work well with the CPU and is great for gaming.
        Memory - ?
        GPU - MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
        Case - Corsiar Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T
        Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
        Optical Drive - OEM DVD Drive
        PSU - ?
        CPU Cooler - ?
        Are you planning to be working with a bunch of multithreaded apps (video editing, encoding, etc.?). Unless you are, for a gaming PC, you don't really need a i7 3770K so you'd be better off saving your money and going with an i5 3570K.

Amazon.com: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K: Computers & Accessories

Otherwise, here's some recommendations for the parts you still need to fill in.... Ebombzor's recommendations are great as well.

Amazon.com: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155 CrossFireX/SLI Dual Lan Dual UEFI BIOS with Bluetooth 4.0/Wi-Fi Expansion Card GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

Amazon.com: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5, i7 and platforms - TX650: Electronics

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1): Electronics

Comment

You should include an SSD with your build. Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vector, Neutron GTX, are all good choices. Go with a Rosewill Capstone 450w or the 450-m for the PSU, and get a Noctua NH-D14 for the cooler.

Comment

I got the i7 3770k just incase if down the road I wanted to make videos for fun. When it comes to the memory should I buy a couple more than 1 of the corsair vengeance or is just 1 suitable for most high end games? Same with the cooler, should I buy just 1 or multiple coolers? Also may I ask what is the SSD and it's usage?

Comment

One kit if 2x4GB RAM is more than enough for gaming. I would recommend you going with the Samsung RAM, it's one hell of an overclocker. Got mine running 1866 9-9-9-24 @1.35v, you could easily get to 2133 10-10-10-27 @1.5v
              You don't need more than one CPU cooler. SSD is a new kind of hard drive and it is light years ahead of the HDD in terms of speed. The downside to it is that SSDs don't have a lot of storage space, but IMO 256GB is enough for your whole Steam library.

Comment

Working...
              X